Friday, December 11, 2009

Technology that can replace a fridge?

I have discovered that a good scanner is way better than a refrigerator. At least for certain things... Sure a fridge will keep food cold, but it's other primary function is losing ground in the digital age. Namely, it's use as an art gallery for elementary students, and an appointment calendar for the family.

Change is hard, but often good. My laptop was in the shop for 2 days, and I felt so vulnerable! It was like losing a good chunk of my mind. If it hadn't been for my phone, I wouldn't have known what day it was, let alone make any of my appointments. That's when I realized that the fridge just doesn't cut it as a calendar for me, because it's rather unportable.

It also limits the amount of art that can be displayed. My laptop (and your computer via this post) on the other hand, can display many treasured works of art! Plus I can save scans of anything I like, and burn a disc for the artist when he marries and moves out, or when his children start bringing art home from school!

This came up because while my 9 year old is very creative in the literary and Lego areas, his simple tips take quick root and rapidly blossom in his 6 year old brother. As a case in point, to draw stars in a night sky, draw the stars, then color the dark sky around them. Not only did he get it, but he improved it by adding what every starry sky needs: The Enterprise!

Then the other day, the lesson was 3D Art 101: How to draw a cube. Maybe not a perfect rendition, but I can prove he got the concept.

In fact, not only did he get it, the concept was so exciting, that he immediately saw practical uses.

Sure I'm a proud dad, but c'mon, for a 6 year old who just learned about drawing a 3D cube minutes before, that's pretty cool! But then he discovered that cubes and other 3D boxes make great building blocks for other objects. Like robots!

Yeah, my 6 year old may not write his own books yet, but he certainly shows his creative side in art and music.

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

well, i use my fridge for an art gallery and a calendar every day. i guess since i'm a sahm though, the only kinds of appointments i have are feeding schedules and diaper changes. :p

smart kid, btw. and definitely cool artwork!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home